The PET/CT scan itself was a piece of cake. It's just all of the water and then nothing but the protein yesterday, then no food and lots and lots and lots of water after 5pm yesterday. Yikes! But I'll bet I won the water award.
Found out that the more water in your system (the more hydrated you are) the better image you get.
Some of you may not know that I'm claustrophobic. Yup, I am. Not for lots of things. Like I love caves. The CAT scan I had last week at the hospital was only about 10" thick, so I had no problems. The one today was about 5 feet long. Took lots more psych time to get me mentally prepared. You lay on a bed about 12" wide, with a dip (or V) in the middle for your butt. Then they start strapping down your feet so that you don't move (not good for a claustrophobe). As she proceeded up, strapping (with tape, mind you, but strapping non-the-less) my knees and hips, I was truly wondering if I would be able to do this. Next I got something placed under my neck to raise my head. Then she put a pillow above my head, covering my forehead (another "not good" sign). She said "would you like a washcloth to cover your eyes"? Thinking it would be a nice damp cloth on my forehead, I said "sure". Well, it was a dry cloth and I instantly felt like I was being smothered. So, we took that off and I just decided to shut my eyes and pray the entire time I was in the machine.....which was about 22 minutes. I'm sure the Lord must think I'm a real weenie. But hey, we've all got our breaking point. Even though I love to sleep with my hands above my head, having to do it constantly....AND NOT MOVE for so long definitely gave me a cramp in my right shoulder. Oh yes, they also strapped down my shoulders and head.
Found out that eating the protein before the tests is a great way to isolate any "bad" stuff. Same with drinking the water.
But I'm now radioactive. Will be for 24 hours. My sister wanted to know if I was "glowing". I said that I lived in the Tri-Cities. How will you know? I just have to make sure and stay at least 5 feet away from Christiina or anyone else that is of child-bearing age. I should have thought of this excuse years ago as a way of getting "my space"!!
I was absolutely starving when I got back to the house. Had a huge lunch (pear & cottage cheese salad, plus a taco salad - complete with chips, tomatoes and salsa). I must have eaten for 60 minutes. And for dessert I ate a brownie. Now I think I'll do what Duncan (Marsha's Corgi pup) is doing and go take a nap.
I'll eat a full dinner of something tonight, then NPO after midnight for my early morning test. It will definitely be an early morning Friday, as we have to be at outpatient admit by 6:30am.
Will post again soon. Thanks for your continued prayers.
Ouch.
9 years ago

2 comments:
Woohoo! You did it, claustrophobia and all! Nice job : ) I'm sure it's nice to have that test checked off your list. What is the test (or procedure?) tomorrow morning?
Take care and enjoy your carbs, hehe,
Sheila
Good luck tomorrow! We sure hope all of this "work" doing the tests is all there is--as in, "It's a simple little...and we'll just do this simple little procedure to treat it...and BAM! you're cured!" Then off to Europe!
Our thoughts and concerns are with you. Corie, Bob, Katie and Chris
Post a Comment