Next Vacation Countdown

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Charleston Caching

We had a very busy day today. I got up early and took some pictures of all the RV's in this park.


This is our humble unit, after we unhooked the car and took the bicycle off the back of the car.


And this is a view of some of the very, VERY expensive RV's - with all of their silver & chrome.


We started geocaching early in the day. This was taken at one of the caches. This used to be a ferry crossing before the bridge was built, but now is a boat launch.

Some of the beautiful old oak trees we drove under today.


Got to the beach -- by a hotel called "The Sanctuary". We went in and used their WiFi to grab geocache locations, then decided to walk down to their private beach and look around.


The dynamic duo on the South Carolina beach. (Looks like a "bad hair day", huh?)


Walking back along the boardwalk from the beach - here is the hotel's swimming pool. Did I mention that this was a really exclusive place?

This tree is called Angel Oak and is a famous tree -- and a park. We only came here because of the geocache outside the fence. Beautiful tree.


Another of our caches took us by the ONLY tea garden in America. I really had no idea we grew tea in the USA.


This is what a tea plantation looks like. The plants are like shrubs, and are about 2-3 feet tall. Some of the plants are almost 200 years old, and still producing tea.

A couple workers out in the tea plants working. I think they were hoeing or weeding or something.


I thought this was a really cool picture of some Spanish moss on a bench at the Tea Plantation.


Photo of the plantation taken while sitting in a rocking chair on the veranda. You know, I think I could get used to that kind of life. Very relaxing.


Carol walked down to this machine and took a picture. It's some kind of a harvester (I think).


One of our caches was titled "Gator Bait". I just HAD to take a picture of the sign.

This is how our campsite looked tonight. We got home from a long day of geocaching and we had no electricity. All of these big expensive rigs had blown a major circuit. They had to get the power company out to put in a new transformer. We just opened our windows to get a nice cross-breeze, and waited for darkness. Power was restored within 2 hours.


After checking out the weather this morning, we made the decision to NOT go to Myrtle Beach. Over 30 homes have burned in the area and somewhere around 10,000 acres have burned. So we got online and mapped a new route that takes us north through Florence, SC and on to a small North Carolina community of Lumberton. Carol's got all sorts of RV resort books, and we found a nice place with WiFi hookup right along our route. This will actually be better for our overall travel plans, since it will get us a lot closer to our Saturday destination.

My cousin lives in Hillsborough, NC and Carol has an acquaintance that lives in Morrisville, NC. These two communities are 30-45 minutes apart, so we will stop and visit both.

Weather has been great the last couple of days. Hope it holds.

I've been on the road about a week so far. Time is going too fast.

Time for bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I'm glad you didn't turn into gator food, Phyllis! What goodies are you finding in the geo caches, and what are you leaving in them? My understanding (if correct) is that people usually take and leave a small trinket at the cache? Is that true?

: )
Sheila