Next Vacation Countdown

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Another Change

Had my blood draw on Tuesday and was all set for chemo today. But had to visit the doctor first. Since my doc is on vacation this week, I got to meet with yet another nurse practitioner – Mitra. Spent over an hour with her.

She had two main concerns. One being the back pain. (Surprise, surprise! But hurray that yet another person is concerned about the back pain and that it might be associated with the cancer).

So, this is what we know for sure thus far:

  1.  Concern that the chemo is not working as it should. The CA-19-9 blood marker was at 271, which is up from 148 two weeks ago. A normal marker is 37 or lower. And the fact that it is rising may indicate that the cancer is still in my body and thus not shrinking.
  2. The back pain could easily be caused by cancer pressing on nerves.
  3. We need to do more tests to determine where to go from here.
Mitra wants to do an MRI of the gut area (area where the whipple surgery was performed and where the cancer was originally discovered). Earliest appointment we can get for that is next Tuesday at 5:45pm. She also wants to do a PET scan now instead of waiting until after chemo is over, because depending upon what we find in these tests, we could start radiation immediately, add another chemo drug, or change the entire chemo regime entirely. Kind of a shock to get all of that news at once, but also it was very gratifying to actually be addressing my pain. She did say that she wants me to continue with the Physical Therapy.

The PET scan has been scheduled for 9:30am next Monday – March 1st. I’ll need a driver to take me home, due to something they give me prior to the test. I think they called it zantac. This test requires me to be on a high protein, low carbohydrate diet for a day or two prior to the test (bring on the steak).

Oh, depending on the results of the PET scan, I may not even have to do Tuesday's MRI.

As you may have already figured out, I did NOT have chemo today. Things are pretty much on hold in that department – pending test results. But I was very sure to inform Mitra of my “cast-in-stone” departure date for leaving for Greece, and that everything needed to be coordinated to fit that time schedule. I figure if they know up front, they’ll know I’m serious. Huh? What do you think?

Just knowing that we have a plan – and I think it’s a good plan this time, has put my mind at ease. I feel very comfortable about all of this and know that it is safely in God’s hands. I continue to feel your love and thank you all for it.  But I could use your prayers.  I know that a lot of you have already been praying for me, but I'm asking one more time for special prayers.  We know that God answers prayers.  Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers and more prayers for you special lady. Love ME

Anonymous said...

We can never have too many prayers - I just wish I was there to give you a ride home. Your spirit is uplifting and a please know you have a special place in our hearts.

Vanessa's Dad said...

Prayers going up. In God's hands is a good place to be...

LOVE,
CADENCE'S GRAND DAD

Anonymous said...

Are your ears ringing?
Have been talking to God about you, Phyllis. You are loved!


-kr