Next Vacation Countdown

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hit Me Again

Had a short, but productive, session with my oncology doctor this morning. He asked lots of questions - Like how was I feeling, did I have any pain, any symptoms I haven't previously had, etc., etc. Doctor then said that the results of my blood work were excellent and it looked to him like we should "Hit me up again" for another round of chemo (remember they count an actual round as 3 sessions, one week apart).

I noticed that my weight has remained the same from last month. That was good, and something I have worked very hard on to maintain. While I really would like to lose more weight, I don't think right now is the time to do it. Besides, I wanted to make sure that when I do lose weight that it is a healthy loss - and not bone loss.

When originally checking out the possible side effects of the chemo drug I'm taking, they mentioned that there was a slight chance of losing my hair. Well as of today I still have all my hair. And many folks have mentioned that the most probable timeline for hair loss is 13-14 days. So I assumed that since I passed that time, that I'd keep my hair. So today I asked the doctor if I still might lose my hair - and he said "yes, it's possible". Oh well, I guess we will just have to cross that bridge if and when it comes.

After the doctor's visit, I immediately went for my next chemo session. On my way home by noon.

................As soon as I got home I noticed that I was missing my cell phone. I went and grabbed my home phone and went outside to the car to call the cell. It rang and rang (I did it twice) but nothing rang inside the car. I did the same thing inside the house. Still nothing. So I called the cancer center and left a message. When they hadn't called me back two hours later, I called them again and they checked "everywhere". No cell phone!

With no other options, I went back to the car and did a detailed visual inspection in an attempt to locate the phone. When I pushed the driver's seat all the way forward and looked on the floor in the back, there was the phone. Relief. This would have been like the 3rd time I've lost a phone. At least by finding the phone, I don't have that stigma hanging over me.

Just took two Tylenol. Hopefully it will help the ache that is just beginning in my legs - plus the tiniest little onset of a headache. Since this is a very common side effect of the chemo, I thought I'd get a head start on it this time and see if it helps.

And now it's off to the barn - feeding time for the cats and horses. Then I can come back to the house and cook up a steak for me. They said that steak was fine to eat, but I needed to make sure and get fiber and vitamins too. So I think I'll cook up some spinach (which I love) and maybe a little fruit for dessert.

Thanks again for coming on this journey with me......and especially to Sue, for coming to the doctor's appointments as well.

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

Phyllis,
glad to hear from you again. We think of you and talk about you often! <: And we pray for you. I have learned a lot from you as you have made this journey and I am thankful for your faith.

Things are going well here. Mom will celebrate her 88th birthday on the 12th of Nov. so today she had a hair cut to get ready! Dad will be 88 in Dec. Can't believe it.

Look forward to more blogs!

ME

Vanessa's Dad said...

Sounds like you're continuing to cope amazingly well.

Good luck with the hair.

LOVE,
CADENCE'S GRAND DAD