Next Vacation Countdown

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday, March 15, 2010

Today was a Work Day

It’s been a long time since I’ve actually had to focus and concentrate. That’s why I call it a “work” day. I received a call a little before noon from Dr. Rege saying that she wanted to see me Tuesday and get started on radiation. That means setting up the computer to MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that everything is set up properly and that the computer image is exactly what I look like. Yippee. The process begins. After the setup, I will have my actual first radiation dose.

Thankfully, and due in greatly to my friend Sue’s prodding, I actually faxed in my Dial-A-Ride (DAR) request to use the special bus service. In my case, since I live outside an actual bus route, it will be provided via taxi. Their brochure information says that there is usually a determination (yes/no) within two weeks, but sometimes it can be expedited to less than that amount of time. So my next job was to get on the phone with DAR to verify that they had received the faxed information, and what I needed to do to have it start on Tuesday!!!

After getting transferred a couple times, I finally got to the gal that receives the faxed information, and yes, they did have it. Round One complete. I then got transferred to the person that actually makes the final decision. Apparently I didn’t have all of the necessary information. I had given them a copy of my prescription showing that I was on medication that prohibited me from driving. They said that not being able to drive was NOT an adequate reason for qualifying for DAR. I needed a physical disability. So, I said, “if I had put on there that I had Pancreatic Cancer and that I was starting six weeks of radiation therapy the next day, that would qualify”? The answer was a resounding “ABSOLUTELY”. That was Round Two. Round Three consisted of contacting the doctor’s office and having them fax information to DAR stating this fact. The doctor’s office ended up calling DAR directly and got everything set up and verified over the phone. Round Four Complete. DAR called me and said that I had been approved and gave me the telephone number that I needed to call to use the service. I think that is Round Five.

Now I call DAR (or actually the Taxi service) to set up a time for them to pick me up and get me to my appointment (doctor’s visit, plus radiation stuff). Appointments start at 3pm, so I requested a 2:15pm pickup time. I was down at the barn about 5:30pm when the chemo nurse called to set up a time to insert the chemo pump and get the chemo started – which works in conjunction with the radiation. She said that it needed to be done BEFORE radiation, and typically takes about an hour (since they don’t mix the drug until after I show up). That involved yet another call to the Taxi place to change my pick-up time to 1:30pm. That was NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I believe I have a TKO after a mere Six Rounds. I will request a call-back number about 20 minutes before I’m ready to leave at the end of the day. This first day takes longer than most of the other days, so we’ll see how things go from here on out. So far everything has been wonderful.

It’s amazing to me how everyone seems to be working together on this to keep everything moving in the proper direction.

This all goes to show you that if you work and focus hard enough on something, you can expect good results.  At least in my case the results are good.  I am so excited to actually be starting this phase of the process.  At first I wasn't wanting to do radiation at all, but now that we're doing it, I feel so great about getting started so soon - which means I should be done with it by the end of April.  That will give me Six Weeks to spend healing before leaving for Greece.  It's been sooooooooooooo nice to have a carrot for this trip.  Keeps me focused on what I really want to do.  God has been so good to me so that I can channel my energy in such a positive way.  And God has given me such wonderful friends and family.  Whenever I start to get a little down, I usually have an email or a telephone call from a friend.  You guys are all the best.  Some day I hope to wrap my arms around each and every one of you in a huge hug and say "thank you".

Love and HUGS from Bloggerland!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

That does sound like a lot of paperwork. But what a blessing to have it all coordinated and working smoothly. And nice that such a service exists.

A dream trip to Europe- a nice carrot indeed!! I like how you think Phyllis :)

Vanessa's Dad said...

Many hoops to jump through. Way to go keeping your Eyes on the Prize, and sticking with it until ya'll were able to "get'er done."

It will get easier.

Your life is a gift and inspiration to all who know you or read your blog.

LOVE,
CADENCE'S GRAND DAD

Unknown said...

Phyllis - So glad that the road keeps on unfolding. You have so inspired me. Love your Mary E.