Next Vacation Countdown

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday, March 6, 2010

…………Next Steps

My doctors are pretty amazing people. They are definitely movers & shakers. When they want something to happen – you can bet that it will happen SOON. I’m glad they’re on my side.

Thursday morning I had a follow-up appointment with Mitra to go over the test results of both the PET scan and the MRI. The PET scan basically showed nothing new. At one point (from one test) it showed some “spots” at the bottom part of one lung. Mitra wanted to make absolutely sure that this wasn’t cancer that had metastasized to this new area. Turns out to be nothing……and I could have told them that. About 20 years ago I had to have some sort of a follow-up test to an x-ray for the same spots. Being that I didn’t want to unnecessarily worry my family, I kept this news a secret until I knew the results. So when I finally told my mom, she said “well, I could have told you that. You had double pneumonia twice as a child and it left spots on your lungs”. After that I decided it best to tell everyone ALL OF THE NEWS, because really the only person worried about that first instance was me!

The MRI also showed nothing new. Both of these were extremely good indicators that we can now proceed with radiation. Next step was to get an appointment with Rege, the doc in radiation. Turns out I was able to get in to see her that same afternoon – at 4pm. After checking out all of the results, Dr. Rege said the next step was to have a simulation done. And I was able to get that appointment on Friday. Of course I had to drink a couple bottles of contrast yuk. (I think it was Barium). Anyway, I did manage to get it all taken before my 1:30pm appointment. Simulation puts me in a machine “tube” that scans the body part that will receive radiation – basically creating a computer image of the internal me. This process took a couple hours. The doctor checked out the computer images before I left. Now they spend up to two weeks fine-tuning everything. So radiation could actually begin in two weeks.

We will also be doing chemotherapy at the same time as radiation. Chemo will be inserted via my Port, using a pump. Every seven days they change the pump and insert a new needle.

Friday night I was pretty miserable, with my stomach growling and rumbling all night. I’m pretty sure it was the Barium stuff I drank. It was terrible to be that cramped up. Thank heavens it only lasted overnight.

Oh, Mitra also changed my pain medication. We switched to Oxycontin (a narcotic that is long-acting, taking one pill every 12 hours). Then for a spike in pain I will still take the Oxycodone, as needed. I dropped the prescription off at the pharmacist late Friday, but they called and said there would be a delay in picking it up. Got a call this evening saying it was now available. I’ll get it after church in the morning.

So until I hear more from the radiation folks, I will just take each day one at a time. And of course I’ll update this information as soon as I know more.

2 comments:

Vanessa's Dad said...

Ouch. I guess the only thing worse than having to take heavy duty pain medication would be not having the heavy duty pain medication that you need. Better living through chemicals...

Keep taking each day "one at a time," and I'll keep praying for continued healing through your medical professionals and treatment.

LOVE,
CADENCE'S GRAND DAD

Anonymous said...

I'm still with you Phyllis, keeping you in thought and prayer. I am so happy that you have the Lord Jesus to give you the strength and faith that you need to help you through this valley in your life. I do believe that it's these difficult times that help us realize that Jesus is all that we have and all that we need. I know friends and family are wonderful, and we need them too, but when they can't be with us Jesus always is,living right within us just waiting to listen and comfort us. My love and prayers to you, Nancy