Next Vacation Countdown

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent Conspiracy

Christmas 2009……The Advent Conspiracy Begins.

This is the second year for “Advent Conspiracy” at my church. This is a summary of what was in our bulletin last Sunday.
"We have an opportunity this Christmas to reclaim the heart of what matters most as we learn together to give gifts of meaning instead of simple material gifts. Pictures, poems, pieces of art, all become relational alternatives that foster what matters most in life. In thinking in a new way about what it means to give ourselves to each other, we are transformed by the story of Advent, knowing that we give relationally because God gave relationally. Whatever you decide to do this Christmas, the key is to spend less and give relationally of yourself.
As Christ-followers, the Advent Conspiracy starts with us resisting a culture that tells us what to buy, wear and spend with no regard to bringing glory to Jesus. So, as a church, we invite people to reclaim God’s purpose in Christmas. We will invite people to do what Jesus did and asked us to do…..give and serve those with less. Are you up for it?
Wouldn’t it be great if every person and/or family brought an offering with the money we saved from spending less, to help those who are without in our community and beyond? So this Christmas, we are sharing in these 3 ways.
  1. CHRISTMAS IN RWANDA…..Donate a sewing machine or a goat for widows to start their own business. A goat costs $50 and a sewing machine is $200 (which also includes training at the tailoring schools and materials needed for their business).
  2. FOOD DRIVE…..Canned Goods, Dried Food, Grocery Gift Cards.
  3. ADVENT OFFERENT…..Benevolence Gifts – Financial gifts will be given to help the needy in our church family and our community.
Let’s pour out a conspiracy of love!”
For my Christmas gifts this year, I am buying a sewing machine and a goat. If you wish to join me in this relational gift-giving, you can log on to the Africa Mission Alliance website: http://africamissionalliance.org/ - then click “donate” then “project donations”. But whatever you do or don’t do is up to you. Just know that I intend to help the poor in Africa this year and that is YOUR CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM ME.

I also intend to bring canned food and other necessary supplies to our church to donate to the people in our community. I have been blessed so much this year, having great people around me, wonderful health insurance, a church family that loves me and a God that loves me much more than I deserve.


On another note…………………..I had my monthly oncology doctor’s appointment today. I asked lots of questions and Dr. Haque (pronounced Hawk) patiently answered all of them before getting around to asking his questions of me. The only issue he was concerned with was my blood pressure. Appears to be a little on the high side. I’ve lost one (1) pound since last month. As I have previously posted, I’ve felt remarkably well the last couple of weeks. But after chemo today I began feeling bad. Don’t really know if it was the chemo or the fact that I went to the mall and had Chinese food for lunch. Nothing I’ve tried has helped. Hopefully I can get a good night’s sleep and start anew in the morning.

Supposed to be very cold tonight. It was 18 when I left for the doctor’s this morning. Looks like winter is trying to make his arrival.

And remember to think “conspiracy” this Christmas and think and become relational in your giving. Give what your heart tells you to give, not what a news ad tells you to give. God loves a cheerful giver……
(2 Corinthians 9:7)

2 comments:

Vanessa's Dad said...

Wow, and I thought 31 degrees was cold this morning. One of my favorite movies is "Dr. Zhivago." I love some of the winter/snow scenes.

Hope you sleep well tonight.

LOVE,
CADENCE'S GRAND DAD

mom3 said...

Thanks for the Christmas gift! This is something we try to do every year also.

And if 19 degrees means winter is "trying" to make his arrival, look out! It was the same here this morning. Brrr. I am spoiled.

Love ya!

ME