Hopefully today will be the coldest day we are going to have in awhile. I awoke this Tuesday morning, December 16th, to below zero temperatures. For those using Celsius, that is -20°C. We are supposed to get sunshine today, but the high is only forecast to be 11°F.
The one good thing about this weather…………it has arrived now, while I am still here to do something about it. We aren’t expected to see temperatures above freezing until at least after Christmas. This has given me plenty of opportunity to get all of the “bugs” out of any weather-related issues.
I’ve left the water running a slow drip at night in both the kitchen & the bathroom. I’ve done that because probably 20 years ago I came back from Christmas to discover that my pipes were all frozen and I had no water. Then later that same year, my hot water pipes froze and broke and I spent about a week with my aunt while the mess was cleaned up and repaired. Yes, we do learn from past experiences.
And of course I still have water issues in the barn, but not with my new stop & waste faucet that was put in last month. I have automatic water tanks in the barn and all of them are frozen SOLID. So instead of fighting it, I just take a 5-gallon bucket and scoop water out of my old mare’s tank and carry it in to the barn for the 4 horses stabled there. I’ve got a plan to finally get this annual frozen issue resolved, but unfortunately it won’t happen until after my upcoming trip to Africa….and maybe not even until spring. With the weather so cold, I have started feeding the horses 3-times per day……at 8am, 3:30pm and 11pm. They stay warm by eating, and when it is this cold it is only right that they should have access to feed that will keep them warm. The sacrifices we make for our vices (oops, I meant hobbies)!
I’ve stayed warm indoors, without drastically boosting up the heater. I’ve got on long underwear, sweatpants and two sweatshirts (the top one is insulated and has a hood). It’s amazing how much lower you can set your thermostat when you just dress a little warmer.
You know, 60° nights and 80° days is going to be a wonderful change.
RWANDA, HERE I COME.
Ouch.
9 years ago

2 comments:
Yeah, that's COLD!!! It's snowing here in Vegas which is just wild, but below zero is COLD. Stay safe and warm. Rwanda is going to be such a shock to your system in so many ways.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! So c-c-c-cold!
Post a Comment