Next Vacation Countdown

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Friday, May 15, 2009

Life Through God's Eyes

I’ve been remiss in posting about the lives of my family.

As most of you know, my brother was diagnosed almost two years ago with Mesothelioma. As he so eloquently stated way back then, “This is not the good kind of cancer.”

No, it’s not good at all. He had surgery in October 2007 to remove fluid from his right lung. This is when they confirmed the cancer diagnosis. Three months of chemo started in January, followed by surgery in April 2008. Then six weeks of daily radiation began in June. Finally at the end of July he got to go back home. By mid-September he was feeling chipper and took a road trip through Idaho & Montana with his son. Several more week-long excursions ensued. By the end of the year he wasn’t feeling hungry and began losing weight.

He has had a very rapid decline in health. Tonight I am spending the second night in his home, along with his two boys and a dear and trusted friend of his, to help him through his final days.

Last Monday my sister Marsha & I were here, along with both of his sons. We all went home Monday afternoon around 6:00pm. We all said goodbye to him, and we all worried that since he had said goodbye to everyone that he would be ready to leave his earthly body. Tuesday he slipped a couple times while going to the bathroom and Susan had to call Hospice for assistance. The second time she was told that it was probably time to get another person in the house – preferable a man that could help move him if he fell again. His son David arrived early Wednesday morning. Son Keith showed up a few hours later. Then I arrived Thursday.

He has transitioned from sleeping in one of three recliners placed in his family room, to a hospital bed. He looks more comfortable and it is much easier for us to take care of him. He has a pain patch, but is still taking breakthrough pain medication through a syringe and water that way too, although sometimes he can still take water through a straw. Every time we ask him if he wants a straw, he says “asks Keith”. Well, this is Albert’s way of still being funny. Apparently a few years ago Keith & his dad were on a camping trip and had stopped at a coffee shack, where Albert was sort of flirting with the barista. As she gave them the coffee, she asked if they wanted straws. Albert said “no, real men don’t use straws”. Of course as soon as they left the establishment and sipped their coffees, it was so hot that they were wishing they had gotten the straws. Apparently REAL men really DO need straws!!!

He’s sleeping almost all of the time, but will wake up and try to answer questions when someone comes around. But for the most part, he’s sleeping. Probably at least 22 hours a day. The nurse was here today and said she thought he would leave us last night. When we ask him if he is ready he replies “no”. But he IS ready to get out of this place. He knows he’s getting ready to go see Jesus and says he’s not afraid.

For the most part, he’s comfortable. Hospice has been wonderful to help us through all of the things we’ve had to deal with here.

……………………I must tell you, the reason I haven’t written about this sooner is in deference to Albert’s wishes. I hope you understand. He is a very quiet and private person, and I’ve tried to respect that privacy. He made the last entry in his blog about six weeks ago, and is no longer using his computer.

Life is short. None of us knows the number of days God has for us. All we can do is to make the best of each day we’re given. I would like to ask everyone to pray for Albert, for his family, his caregivers and his friends.

Thanks to all of you in blogger land. If I haven’t responded to you or called or emailed you, I hope that you will understand. My priorities have shifted and being with Albert and helping to take care of him have become my most pressing needs. I know that this is where I was meant to be. That gives me much peace. Oh, I want to give a special shout out to two people: my friend and neighbor for taking care of my dog, and to another neighbor for feeding my horses. You guys are the best.

God IS in control. He sent us here to love one another. If you do nothing else today, please go tell the ones you love that you do love them. You may never get another chance. Life is precious.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your neighbor friends and I want to let you know we are all thinking about you, Albert and your family. Both Larry's have been very concerned. Oh, and Larry did make his strawberry rhubarb pie. God has blessed Albert with such a loving and compassionate family. We're all here for you Phyllis.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Phyllis, for posting about Albert's condition. I've been thinking about him and wondering how things are going. I love that story about the straws. Thank you so much for posting that - it made me smile and think of Albert as I always knew him to be. How cool that he is still being his funny self, even in his current condition.

Take care,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I love the "real men" straw story! That's awesome that you are all there with him. That must bring him great comfort and peace. Let me know if you there's anything I can do.

Love ya,

Sue

Anonymous said...

Thank you Phyllis for sharing this part of your life. Albert is a good friend of mine and has been for a very long time. My family wishes to extend our thoughts and prayers to yours in this difficult and trying time. Understanding the need for privacy and space, please call out if needed. Many here in Moses Lake love Albert.

One of Alberts many friends,
Glenda & Family

Meilee said...

Well said Phyllis.