Next Vacation Countdown

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday, October 6, 2008

Hymn Sing

Last evening we had a special sing-along of traditional hymns at church. It was so inspiring and so moving. We sang songs like “Amazing Grace” and oh I can’t even remember the names right now, but it was one of those WOW moments. They reminded us that the songs now sung in churches are mostly praise or worship songs, which is great. But the old hymns had a message within the lyrics. How very true.

There was a gal named Betsy that was working on raising funds for her trip to Africa. She too is going in December, so it was nice to meet another fellow traveler. She was selling homemade cinnamon rolls that her mother had made. She sold A LOT. What I thought was really cute was during the sharing time, she got up and asked people to buy her buns so that she could get her buns to Africa!

Speaking of fundraising, I am currently at 41% of my goal. Many of you have so generously contributed to my mission trip. That is just awesome. With less than 2 weeks left for the first cutoff, I feel confident that I will reach my goal. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Airline reservations have been purchased!!! They will be sending us the details of all those arrangements hopefully later this week. So things are definitely happening.

Yes, a lot has happened in the last 30 days. Hard to believe that it was on September 7 that I first heard the message about the upcoming mission trip. And now I am 41% there.

Oh yes, I am continuing to lose weight. I’ve currently lost a total of 14 pounds. That doesn’t sound like much, but it sure seemed like a lot when I carried a 16-pound bag of dog food into the house. I kept thinking……….. “See, you’re a whole bag of dog food lighter than 2½ months ago!” It made me feel good.

It also made me realize that God knew that I was going on this mission trip the day I started my diet – which was July 26th. That was like 45 days before He made me aware of Rwanda. When the Lord speaks, you had better listen. I certainly am glad that I did.

More to come.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so awesome! I'm so proud of you!

Unknown said...

Oh and I know how you feel about those hymns. I grew up on those. There's something sweet about hymns.

Amanda said...

14 pounds is indeed something to be proud of! I like the bag of dog food analogy. Good for you for getting in better shape and more engery for your upcoming trip. Now that I'm not pumping 4 hours a day, I'm enjoying getting out and about and some good old fashioned walking in. It feels great. And Baby likes it too!